[TowerTalk] Yagi vs Quad

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi vs Quad
From: andy ronan <1n9tgr@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:54:42 -0800 (PST)
Hi Guys,

  Im sure this question may of come up before but I am new to the list and
thought I might give it a try.I lost my tower just before Christmas in a bad
storm and now face the task of replacing everthing.The antenna I had was a 4el
5b quad on a 30ft boom fed with seperate feedlines,it worked extremely good and
was easily heard in the pileups.I am contemplating switching to a yagi type
antenna because I just dont have the time to set up another quad or the time
for the maintenance that comes with them.
  I know a lot of the yagi guys are using force 12s and steppers and was
wondering how they play in the real world.Two of the antennas that caught my
eye were the 4el stepper 6-40mtrs or the force12 5ba topped with a force 12
230/240.
  The antennas will be mounted on a 70ft plus tower,I need to keep the boom
lengths around 30ft as I live in the city on a small lot,I will be running
legal limit and prefer to stay away from trapped antennas as I like to run rtty
and dont want the hassle of replacing traps .due to overheating.I will be using
a remote relay switch so seperate feedlines are not an issue.My main bands of
interest are 20-15-40 in that order but I would like the flexibility of using
the warc bands without the need to an external tuner.
  Hopefully I have included enough backround and look forward to hearing your
comments.

  73s  Andy   N9TGR...EI8IM