Re: [TowerTalk] GRIPS WITH PHYLISTRAN(HELP)

To: "'k2vi'" <k2vi@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GRIPS WITH PHYLISTRAN(HELP)
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:34:00 -0600
Tony,

Don't worry about the strength of the C3.  Put it together like the
instructions say (shouldn't take long) and it will stay up just fine.
Mine is at 125 feet and I have had no problems.  I had one previously at 90
feet for several years, same story. I am near the Texas coast so I get
plenty of sun and wind.

The big Rohn book with the specifications says that you should have 2 sets
of guys for 25G (assumption) one set at 22 and one at 48. The guy point is
40 feet from the tower base and the guy cable is 3/16 EHS. These are for 70
MPH rating and no ice. If your guys are going all the way to the ground, you
might contact your power company and find out where they get their ground
cable covers. I bought 3 yellow covers, they are about 10 feet long.  They
will save you from skinning your head or hanging some one. It really hurts
when you do that.

If you aren't using Rohn 25G then you might mention what you are using. I
have the Big Grips that are used with PHYLISTRAN on my tower. Fortunately
for me, my tower guys were experienced with the stuff. I left about 10 -15
feet of steel cable at the bottom of each guys so that trees and bushes
wouldn't nick the cable. If I remember correctly, there is a website
someplace with pictures and instructions on the Big Grips. Check Google or
maybe some of the other guys on here can help.

I would send you the specifications page from the Rohn book but it says no
copying!

Bill, W5VX