[TowerTalk] Flexible Cable to pass Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Flexible Cable to pass Rotator
From: n2oelspears@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:19:20 -0500
I am putting up three beams on a TV Rotator. One each of 440, 220, and 2
Meter. The antennas will each face 120 degrees away from each other. ÂI
intend to feed the three antennas with three pieces of pre-made 50 foot lengths
of LMR-400, with type N Males on each end. Since LMR-400 is not flexible, I
will need several feet of a flexible cable to go from the LMR-400 to the
antennas. The feed point for each antenna will be about 2' above the rotator,
and 2' from the pole.Â

I would like to build flexible cables to go from the LMR-400 to each antenna.
I want a type N Female at the bottom of each cable, and I will put the proper
connector at the top, Pl-259 or Type N Male.

My questions are:

What length of flexible cable do I need to properly feed past the rotator?
Low loss cable is preferred.

What type of cable is recommended? One friend said RG-8X, while another said
RG-213 Coax. ÂI will need to buy the cable. I have access to the crimp tool
used for LMR-600, but do not have any other crimp tools. I have several
friends that know how to solder correctly, and I will be able to construct the
cables at a local Radio Clubâs âKit Buildingâ night.ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

What types of connectors are recommended, and can I buy them on ePay, or can
you recommend a source.

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive from the group.

N2OELÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Maywood, NJ
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ