Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:49:54 -0600
Gary, while HFTA is a wonderful tool to use to design the
station ... there are some "traps" to watch for ... <see text
and source below>. Sounds like you need to check and
confirm that is not what is going on with your model there.
A Caveat About Closely Spaced Yagis in a Stack

The internal Yagi model in HFTA is a very simple mathematical model. It does
not compute interactions between individual Yagis in a stack-HFTA assumes
that each antenna is a "point source." For antennas stacked more than about
a half wavelength apart this is not a problem. For example, you should be
cautious specifying spacings less than about 20 feet on 20 meters (and
proportionately scaled on other bands) because of mutual-coupling effects
between real antennas. Spacings less about 20 feet on 20 meters will show a
false increased gain in HFTA, even though the real effects of interaction
between the beams will actually be to decrease the gain.

http://www.arrl.org/notes/9876/HFTA.pdf
Hope this helps!

73 de Billy, AA4NU