Re: [TowerTalk] Windload at 90 mph (was: Plumbing a tower)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Windload at 90 mph (was: Plumbing a tower)
From: Chris Wendling <cpwendling@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:46:57 -0800 (PST)
Clay,

 Great question!   Difficult  answer.   I'm assuming that the projected areas
are the same  for both the 1/2" and 2" tubing in your question.

 It may be  counter-intuitive, but many times the smaller diameter tube, wire/
or  cable will have the higher net drag with equivalent frontal projection
areas. This is due to the earlier onset of turbulent flow (as opposed  to
laminar flow), something described by the  Reynolds number.  (Another
dimensionless quantity.)   Don't want to get too far  afield on the towertalk
list, so I'll stop here.  But there are  many excellent resources (try
Wikipedia for starters) that explain such  topics as supercritical flow,
viscosity, Reynolds number, etc. if you  have an academic interest in the
theory.

 Realistically, you  need not concern yourself with such details (analysis to
paralysis?)  for a standard Ham tower project. Just use anywhere from 25 to 35
lbs  force per square foot projected area at 90mph wind speed. Then use an
appropriate Engineering Safety Factor depending on location, icing,  property
value, liability factors, etc.

  73,
  CW-AI4MI

W7CE <w7ce@curtiss.net> wrote:  Thanks for the info.  I don't know as much
about this as I'd like, but I'm
learning.  From your comments I assume that 20-26 lbs would apply to round
tower legs (Rohn 65G here) and typical yagi booms and elements.  Since I've
been using 36 lbs for my rough calculations, I should be sufficiently
over-designed :)  I live in a 90 mph area and don't want any mistakes.

Would a 2" diameter tower leg have more or less drag than a 1/2" element?  I
remember reading some info on this and seem to recall that the smaller
elements actually have more drag than the larger elements.

BTW, I'm sorry about the double post.  I realized that I sent the original
question using the wrong email account, so I resent it this morning from the
correct account figuring the other one would bounce.

73,
Clay  W7CE