Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:39:53 -0000
This is a tough comparison since you were much closer to the ocean than
W4AN.

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:56:55 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2008 9:03:43 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
RXDesign@ssvecnet.com writes:

Same  thing applies to a well built 4 sq vs. a 2 el beam.

I can't tell you much about one el vs two el, but I can tell you about two
el vs 4 square.  Back around 2000 I played horse races several times on 80
with W4AN in GA who was using a nice 4 square.  I was using a 2 el quad
loop
array spaced about 40 feet suspended on a caternary system at an average
height
of about 130 feet.  At no time did the 4 square beat the 2 el loop  in to EU
and usually was down at least one S-Unit, sometimes as much as 2  S-units.

I had to make a decision when I moved to KH6 as to whether use a loop
system
or a 4 square on 80.  I chose the loops which I could only put up at  an
average height of 100 feet or less.  I'm glad I did.

YMMV!

Bill K4XS/KH7XS