Re: [TowerTalk] Install Suggestions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Install Suggestions
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:55:21 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2008 9:02:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I'll be using a 20 foot mast.  Starting out with it  already
inside the tower avoids some serious struggles up  top.

>  However it also means starting out with 20 feet of  tower
with the mast inside.  I'm not too clear on a safe way  to
hoist 2 55G sections and mast vertical and onto the top
end of the  base section.

>  In the past, it was no problem for me to hoist  2 25G
sections (and no mast) onto a pier pin base alone.
My first tower  here was 55G.  2 of us were able to
walk up the first 20 feet (again,  no mast) and set the base
plater over a pier pin.

>   Somehow, 2 sections of 55G with 150 to 200 pounds of mast
inside has me  worried.  Getting it vertical using another 2 sections
looks doable -  but manhandling it up and onto the base seems
a bit tricky (every wonder  why sections done want to fit at the
least opportune  times?!?)

>  Aside from the obvious (crane) I'm wondering how  you
may have approached this task.

>  In reality, a crane  may be a lot safer leaving me
to rethink the installation  sequence.

Howdy --

    I've got to see a picture of the ginpole you'll  be using! One using 25G
sections wouldn't be overkill in this instance. I  think someone said the load
will be close to 300# - YIKES!

    One of the hard lessons I've learned over the  years - this would be the L
XC Secondary Directive - is to break everything  down into bite-sized
portions. Anytime you try to do 2 or more things at once  you're asking for
trouble;
e.g. installing an antenna with feedline attached,  hauling a top section with
rotator and mast, etc. Install the antenna and THEN  attach the feedline.
Install the top section and THEN add the rotator and  cables. Somewhere along
the
line if you don't it's going to bite you in  the butt.

    My suggestion is to stack 2 sections and then put  the mast inside the
tower. IF your ginpole will take the load. The standard  Rohn isn't rated for a
100# load.

    Then build the tower. When it's done, pull the  mast up thru the tower
and thru the thrust bearing. This is still more than  the Rohn ginpole is rated
for so again I'm curious to know more about your  ginpole. Once the mast is
poking out of the top of the tower, secure it with  the TB bolts and remove the
haul rope. Then use a comealong to inch it up.  It's kind of tedious but works
FB.

    Of course a crane trumps everything and it'd be  my choice if feasible.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams