Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:51:25 -0600
Well you are thinking like a Californian.  Direct strikes maybe rare in
California, but in other places they are very common.  I now live in a
much lower lightning probability area than my Florida location, and here
my tower got three direct hits in the first 6 months after erecting it.

It's difficult to say what the voltage on the coax shield could be at
the top of the tower during a strike.  There are several possible
situations.  A direct strike can even hit the antenna, or maybe it hits
the mast and only induces voltage into the antenna.  Either way the coax
shield voltage could easily exceed the breakdown of the coax jacket.
That doesn't mean it will do that every time.  You may only get a
secondary finger from the strike.  Also everyone's tower is slightly
different, different antennas, different cable routing.

As for the other question of the coax connected to the tower at the top
but not at the bottom, without some analysis I don't think I could
accurately guess.  (My guess would be large.)  An interesting question
academically, but not something I would suggest doing.  You don't want
those currents directed toward the shack.  You want them dumped into the
ground at the base of the tower, so you want the coax tied to ground at
the tower base.

There are several contributors for cable currents.  There are conducted
currents and there are induced currents, and of course the source has
frequency components ranging from close to DC to close to daylight.
(Come to think of it, it does have daylight components.)  An analysis
considering all of those factors for a typical tower configuration is a
formidable task.  That's why we just use a set of rules instead of
trying to analyze a particular situation.

Jerry, K4SAV