Re: [TowerTalk] Looking to put up some antennas in Bahamas out Islands.W

To: "'KZ4USA'" <videorov@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking to put up some antennas in Bahamas out Islands.Which antennas hold up to salt air better?
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:18:47 -0500
Jack,

I'm oceanfront her (ocean 330'  West to the Gulf,  Bay is 380' to the
East on the southern tip of the island) and that is the reason I bought my
SteppIR 3element!

Aluminum yagis required (still do) maintenance every 18-24 months here.
This ocean outside does a number on the joints, coax, and especially the
rotors.  My SteppIR has been up for almost six years now (and through two
hurricanes) with no problems.  I check it periodically and the seals work as
they should.  Not so with my two A4S's and the 402CD.  I still need to
service them every 18-24 months.  Rotors last about 18-24 months as well.  I
just replaced two runs of 9913 coax that appeared to be well sealed, but the
SWR's kept getting better and better over a broad range, and sure enough the
ocean was eating 'em.   One small nick and the saltwater finds its way in.
I'm
now planning on replacing all the coax runs with direct burial coax that I
have
just received.

Get the SteppIR, best antenna I've ever used (and I've used most of them.)

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"