Re: [TowerTalk] Combined Dipoles

To: Larry Boekeloo <lboekeloo@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Combined Dipoles
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 02:36:39 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:34:51 -0700 (PDT), Larry Boekeloo
<lboekeloo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  If I cut a dipole for 80 meters, 40 meters and 30 meters and connect them
> all to the same balun, would they at some point resonate on the correct
> frequencies with some tweaking?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Yes, they will work very well indeed. My low-band antennas here are
three inverted vees connected together just as you describe. I have 160,
80 and 40 meter antennas with the apex at 70 feet and the elements
fanned out so they are about 20 feet apart at the ends. When I first put
it up I expected a lot of tuning would be required because of
interaction but there was remarkably little tweaking required.

For anyone running high power, I highly recommend this instead of a
trapped dipole/vee. Over the years I have smoked several traps that
supposedly were rated for 1500 watts, but this antenna really is capable
of full legal limit, brick on the key, no problem at all.

73, Bill W6WRT