Re: [TowerTalk] Plastic End Caps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plastic End Caps
From: "George" <k5jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:44:01 -0500
I always drill a small drainage hole (about 5/32) on the bottom side of my
booms just inside of where the end cap stops. I do not seal the element
ends... dirt-dobbers around here do that within a week. I also seal off the
top and bottom of my masts, drilling a small drainage hole in the bottom
mast cap. I do this to keep wasps out of both ends of the mast. Marine
dealers carry a device known as a "Bearing Buddy"... a replacement for the
axle bearing dust cap... used to keep the axle bearings packed and under
constant pressure. They also sell a vinyl cover (cap) for these Bearing
Buddies called a Bearing Buddy Bra... to keep grease from slinging onto the
wheels. These are excellent for this job, come in black and in a variety of
sizes and hold up to sun and salt water for years. I have some in use today
that have been in service for over 20 years... and they still look and feel
fine. My Yagis do NOT go braless!

73,
George K5JZ