[TowerTalk] MFJ 1026 power handling, etc

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ 1026 power handling, etc
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:33:57 -0400
Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions for anybody who's used an MFJ 1026 (or
1025) noise-canceller.

I've got some nasty power line noise on a few bands (that someday
PSE&G may look into). I'm using an MFJ 1026 on my K9AY loop, using a
simple wire sense antenna for the differential input and it works
reasonably well. Now I'm thinking about tackling the problem on 12,
17 and 20 as well, and to do that, I'll need to run my TX line
through the 1026.

The problem is, I'm using an FT-1000 MP Mark V with 200W out - and
according to the manual for the 1026, it's only rated 100W. I
typically drive my AL-1200 amp with about 110-115 Watts, and when I
run barefoot (and when I operate on 30m), I usually run the full 200W
output from the radio.

Has anyone ever successfully used one of these noise-cancellers at
greater-than-100W and had it survive? If that's not an option, as I
suspect is the case, is there any way for me to get the
noise-cancelling ability of a 1026 (or similar) and still run my Mark
V full-bore?

I also had another thought. Could I put my K9AY loop on one side of
the 1026 and my TX antenna line to the other side and essentially use
one as a noise sense while operating on the other, or should I get a
separate 1026?

Regards,

Peter,
W2IRT