[TowerTalk] How to run my 400' feedlines?

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to run my 400' feedlines?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:35:15 -0400
I had a 350' run at my previous station and I direct buried 1 5/8 hardline
without any problems.

John KK9A

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
From: "Dan Levin"
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:53:25 -0700

I am in the process of moving my tower, which requires me to re-cable the
feedlines.  The new runs will be roughly 400', and I think I am going to use
LDF5-50A Heliax.

The question is how to run the cable.  The options are:

1) Direct burial in a ~18" deep trench.  I don't think that running conduit
is going to be an option.  Is Heliax "rated" for direct burial?  Does it
matter?

2) Run the cables through the trees at about 8' up in the air.  This is
obviously not as good aesthetically, and I've had some problems with current
on the shield of previous "hung in the air" feedlines - but it may be the
only option if direct burial is out...

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

                    ***dan, K6IF