Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: R Verhoeven <zr4rv@xsinet.co.za>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:25:58 -0400
R Verhoeven wrote:
> Hi all
>
> One quick question regarding tower height and RFI. I have extended my tower
> from 18m to 24m. I am using 7/8 helix cables to feed my two antennas,
> Optibeam 16-3 and a Optibeam 40-4 . The whole installation was done according
> to standards and info available.
>
>  My neighbour started complaining about rfi on his sat tv.

Every one appears to be approaching this in the old RFI sense of
interference, but 6-meters should not interfere with the satellite
receiver or output from the LNB.  However if your antenna is in such a
position that it's between his dish and the satellite it could easily
block enough signal to cause a problem.  This is particularly a problem
with the newer small dishes while the old C-band BUGs (Big Ugly Dishes )
could see right through them. A tower even without an antenna can
completely block a signal to my DISH receiver, yet it's mounted on the
same tower where I run 1.8 through 440 MHz.  All but 144 and 440 MHz are
running a KW or better with no interference.  Actually the coax cables
all run together through the same conduit to the tower and up the tower
in the same bundle.

In a sense you'd be lucky if the apparent interference is RFI as that is
fixable, while blocking the signal is only fixed by moving either his
antenna or yours.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)