Re: [TowerTalk] Unsupported :MR400

To: n2oelspears@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Unsupported :MR400
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 14:16:25 -0400
n2oelspears@aol.com wrote:
> I am running 75' of LMR-400.? I have to run about 20' of the LMR-400 at a 30
> degree angle between two support points.? Will it support itself safely, or
> should I be running a cable above the LMR-400 to support it?

Unless loaded with ice or experiencing extreme winds there should be no
problem with 20' of LMR-400 supporting itself. It may not be best
practice, but it works.  I run closer to 60 feet of it coming off the
sloping dipoles and no messenger cable. You can see two of the runs (One
SW and one NW) to the left of the tower in
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower26.htm There is a 75 meter
sloper with a much longer run to the NE (not visible) but the feed line
is not visible except near the tower where it can be seen gradually
sloping away to the NE  (This is probably closer to a 100' run)  None of
the cables have failed in over 5 years.

73

Roger (K8RI)