[TowerTalk] OT: USB ESD protection

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OT: USB ESD protection
From: "Neal Campbell" <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:55:10 -0400
Hi all

We had a lightning strike occur about 1000 yards from our house which
luckily did not affect any of the very expensive shack toys but almost
everything in the house connected via a USB cable got fried (both USB
ports on each end of the cable). No computers were blown (other than
the USB ports on them and a firewire card that had similar reactions).
Our laser printer's USB port was ruined but it also has a RJ45 lan
connection which works just fine.

Oddly enough, no phones, cable TV, stereo or anything connected to the
house electrical system were affected, just USB and firewire connected
devices.

Does anyone know of ESD protection for USB/Firewire connected devices?

--
Neal Campbell - k3nc
Abroham Neal Software

For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com