Re: [TowerTalk] $$$ for ground rods

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] $$$ for ground rods
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 18:23:28 -0400
warrenwolff@aol.com wrote:
> Howdy TTalkers,
>
> I bought my first few gound rods at Lowe's.? A couple weeks later,
> I was at a local electrical supplier and found the very same rods at
> 40% less !!!!!

It varies widely. Sometimes one is cheaper and sometimes, the other.
About all a ham can do is price them out before purchasing.  The same is
true for conduit. I've found nearly 50% different at times favoring one
or the other.

When it comes to conduit I happen to like the larger, plastic drain
pipe.  It was relatively inexpensive compared to conduit (last time I
checked) and comes in 4" and 5".  The difficult part in using it is
adapting it to fit junction boxes on the outside of buildings.  3" PVC
conduit fittings are readily available, but I've not found anything for
the larger drain pipe.   I'd guess one could built/construct fittings
from PVC water connectors if you can find them large enough. Otherwise
cut a hole just large enough for the pipe and load the junction up well
with Silastic RTV (TM) which would probably work.

73

Roger (K8RI)