Re: [TowerTalk] Castastrophic  Consequences of Connector Failure?

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Castastrophic  Consequences of Connector Failure?
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 08:57:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: 2008/05/21 Wed AM 09:48:51 EDT
To: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com

<snip>

And this brings up an interesting system design question.. do you spend
some limited resource (i.e. cash) on better connectors or on protecting
against connector failure.  It's not an obvious trade: One likes to
minimize failures, but the protection circuit also protects against
other things: Antennas getting broken in the wind, for instance

Jim, W6RMK

<snip>

     Reminds me of the circuit a Ham friend of mine built in the 1970's to
protect his amp.  It tied into the Reflected port of his SWR bridge and used
the rising VSWR to trigger an SCR that would trigger a relay to cut off the amp
if his antenna's SWR rose suddenly.  I believe he got the idea from a Navy rig
he worked on while in the service.  FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F