Re: [TowerTalk] Phasing lines

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phasing lines
From: Dennis Ventler <w9jdj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 06:49:03 -0500

I am surprised that no one on this reflector has never mentioned using a "T"
phasor for phasing either two verticals or two horizontal dipoles.  Yes, there
is a very complex phases due to close proximity between the two phased antennas
but the "T" phasor is adjustable and the correct phase can be set by adjusting
the variable capacitor's value and adjusting the inductor with a tap on the
coil.  The "T" phasor is very simple to make with both variable capacitor and a
coil in series.  The junction of the two items is attached to the transceiver
antenna input.  The other side (open end) of the coil and capacitor go to each
of the two antennas.  You will need a DPDT relay to flip flop the ends that go
to each antenna for changing  the desired direction. The feed lines need to be
exactly the same length and I prefer them to be even wave lengths.  The SWR is
better with them that way.  Adjustment for best front to back can be made on
receive  and one doesn't have to worry about the complex phasing relationships.
 I have had very good success using this technique on 40 Meters for about 30
years or so.   When adjusted properly, one should see around 20 DB
front-to-back most of the time.  Of course, there are a lot of variables like
distance between the station being worked and antenna height.  When properly
adjusted, you might have as much as a two to one SWR but I have always used a
tuner in the line to keep everything flat to the transmitter or amplifier.  By
the way, directivity or forward gain will be the antenna that connects to the
capacitor.  If one choose to use two dipoles instead of verticals, make sure
that the center conductor of the coax goes to the same side with each antenna.

If anyone is interested in this phasing method and has questions, feel free to
Email me directly.

73 DE W9JDJ, Denny