Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 LMR-600 Equivalent (and stuff)

To: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 LMR-600 Equivalent (and stuff)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 01:56:30 -0400
Hector Garcia XE2K wrote:
> Rick
>
> tnx for  share the info
>
> not in the need for Coax but that CAT5 cable looks vy interesting for  me at
> this moment

I wish I could find a bit more about the "flooded" CAT5e.  I really need
the foam filled outdoor version, but by the reel it's not a bad price.
OTOH all of mine (not flooded) has been free and through conduit it's
not been a problem to use although a bear to install.  I've kinked more
than one pull and had to throw it out. Hence the desire for the foam
filled and the flooded, outdoor comscope might meet that requirement.
Typical CAT5e is just a hollow plastic tube with 4 twisted pair. One of
the local contractors has been letting me have "ends"  (makes the price
right) which somethings amount to quite a bit in the easy feeding boxes.
I need to make two more runs from the shack where the gigabit switch
sets right next to the 756 Pro.  I'll have 2 runs of CAT5e and at least
3 runs of RG-6 (possibly 5) in one conduit. Another will have two
rotator control cables (one is spare for later) and on cable to the
6-pack and two for remote antenna switches.  I'll also have an
equivalent conduit run from the shop to the tower. Then there are the
larger underground conduits from the shop and den to the tower
containing the coax to the 6-pack as well as the UHF, VHF antennas.  I
plan on doing the switching between the antennas on the big tower and
the one at the end of the shop in the control box at the base of the
tower.  It'll also switch rotator cable access to the big tower of shop
tower to either the shop or Den.  BTW all my CAT5e runs are custom
length with me installing the connectors so I don't have a lot of excess
laying around in the way.

NOTE I hate RHoS compliance.  It has cost me several equipment failures
including a 40" HD TV set today, one mobile rig,  and several other
pieces of equipment. It's cost NASA many problems and even caused
satellites to fail.  Without the lead in solder or plating on circuit
board the tendency to grow tin whiskers multiplies many fold.  Plus it
doesn't wet the base metal nearly as easy as regular solder.  So I guess
the US isn't the only government or group to over react with knee jerk
reactions.  <sigh>  Sorry for the rant, but I think that every time I
see the words RHoS compliant and think of the failures just  I've
seen.   I have nearly a full rull of good solder, I should get another
while I can still get the stuff.

Lots of plans and work, but I'm getting tired of moving a raft of
cables, or propping them on stepladders every time I mow between the
shop and garage. <:-))

As to the coax, it's supposedly come scope which is supposed to be
reasonably good.  I think I'd still going to order a bunch of Bury Flex
to use in conjunction with my LMR 400 and 600 even though I do have
several hundred feet of 600UF.  OTOH it looks like I'm going to need to
order a reel of flooded CAT5e and flooded RG-6 somewhere as I'm running
low.  Each run from the shjack is about 230 feet for the LMR-400 and 600
while the RG-6 runs for the TV are nearly 300 each.  It doesn't take
long to go through a 1000 feet of coax which starts to get expensive
after a while, but cheap coax can be expensive in the long run.

I'm beginning to think it's time to get rid of the two mobiles (Yaesu
897D and Icom 7000)  along with my Henry 2002A and get another 756 Pro
for the shop instead of the little rigs. Then get a good dual band
(cross band repeat capable) like the TM-D700 or 710.  I really don't
know which duobander is best, but "one way"cross band is essential.

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)