Re: [TowerTalk] Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts

To: "'Barry Merrill'" <barry@mxg.com>, "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:36:48 -0400
Sounds like a good argument for a second thrust bearing to keep the mast
straight.

By coincidence, I just installed a 2-el Cal AV 40 (a rare beast) and an M2
OR2800PX. I bought and installed the wired bolt kit, and used medium Loctite
as well. The bolt wiring diagram made sense, but up on the tower I wasn't
able to figure out how to string the wires so that all four bolts would
tighten the wire if they attempted to loosen. One bolt was always in the
opposite state. Still, I think the wires will be more effective than
nothing, and maybe one of these days when I have nothing else to do I'll go
up there and see if I can figure out a better wiring path.

The biggest problem I ran into was registration of the rotor bolt holes with
the rotor plate. I didn't have a problem with the Tailtwister previously
mounted on the plate, but I was unable to get the rotor and plate holes to
line up perfectly. I kept ending up with one set of holes very slighly off,
such that the bolt would begin to slant as it went in (or, perhaps the hole
in the rotor casing was drilled at a slight angle -- I couldn't tell at the
time. I ended up slipping a couple of lockwashers over the bolt shaft so I
could tighten the bolt against the plate while it was still heading straight
into the casing. Seemed to work, but if that one loosens up it'll have less
travel to come out. However, the fit through the rotor plate of all four
bolts is so tight that I'd be surprised if they loosened up. Nonetheless,
this will be an annual maintenance check item.

73, Dick WC1M