Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER UP AND LOOKING GORGEOUS

To: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FIRST TOWER UP AND LOOKING GORGEOUS
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 04:55:51 -0400
Hardy Landskov wrote:
> How come you did not plan this ahead of time? 30 feet is a waste of money
> anyway.

Oh No! It's just a start<:-))

You can never have too much tower and even a short tower is a good
start.  There a big difference between too much tower and too high an
antenna.  I know of several nearby "old timers" (almost as old as me)
that would be happy to have a 30' tower.
For years I ran full size KLM monobanders for 20 and 15 and a 7L 10M
Wilson on 40 foot, American Steel with dirt bases.  They worked just
fine. I was happy with them and they stood up to winds that tore down
the TV antenna and ice storms that took out over a mile of power line.
I think a 30 footer is a great start.  My first "30 footer" was made of
2 X 4's laminated together. It started oscillating in a strong wind, hit
resonance and literally blew apart. The longest remaining piece was only
about 3 or 4 feet.  I was every bit as proud of that 2 X 4 mast as I was
completing the big 45G.  Of course I was proud of the rock crushing
Novice signal my pair of 6L6's built up in the corner of an old TV
Chassis put out too. <:-))

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)