Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:40:54 -0700
If my memory is correct the original problem occurred when the bolts in the
bottom of a OR2800, holding it to the mounting plate, loosened and fell out.
I believe the rotator holes are tapped blind holes in an aluminum casting. I
think a good solution would be to use bolts with a long threaded portion and
double nuts as suggested. However, I would saw them off at the top of the
thread and saw a screwdriver slot in the top end. These would be turned in
to the full depth of the tapped hole for maximum strength and avoidance of
thread stripping in the casting. I would probably apply a coating of
permanent Locktite to the tapped hole then tighten the dual nuts. Aluminum
has a fairly large coefficient of expansion which might be part of the
loosening problem.
73, Dan, N5AR