Re: [TowerTalk] Turn Buckles

To: "'AD5VJ Bob'" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Turn Buckles
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:55:16 -0500
You are exactly right. I have had the opportunity to work with several
towers both Rohn #25 and Rohn #45. None of the towers failed unless the guy
wires fail first. It has been a real lesson to me. Usually guyed towers fail
because a tree or other large object falls across the guy wires.

Now that I have become an old "fart" I have become very careful. If my tower
fell and hurt a neighbor or one of my grandkids, I'm not sure that I could
deal with that. I called Texas Towers and had them tell me what sized
turnbuckles, guy wire, etc that I needed. Then I used a professional tower
company to put up my 130 foot tower. You have access to some real smart
folks up in the central Texas area that might provide the expertise that I
had to pay for. Just be careful about who you ask for advice from.

Just remember it is too late once the tower is falling.

Bill W5VX