Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switch

To: AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Switch
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:43:39 -0400
AD5VJ Bob wrote:
Does anyone have anything on this Remote Switch?
Your Model SW9 is probably very similar to my Model 50. Dick, W0MLY, followed a fairly predictable wiring system. About the only differences were in the number of contacts on the switch. You are welcome to download a copy of the Model 50 manual from the BAMA server. http://bama.sbc.edu Just look for Antenna Mart. On the mirror site at http://bama.edebris.com look under antmart. The Antenna mart switches were very high quality and not inexpensive. If you have the control box and the switch box and the wafers are in good shape, you've got a good piece of equipment.
73,
Ken - K4XL
BAMA

For my new tower a guy gave me a control box for and old remote controlled
antenna relay that he once used, but was in his junk box
and so he asked me if I wanted it.

On the back it has a paper stick on tag that says:

Antenna Mart
Box 7 Rippey IA  50235
Model SW9   SERIAL = _________

I searched Antenna Mart using Google and came to a website named MAX-GAIN SYSTEMS, INC
http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html

So I sent them an email asking them about this remote switch box
They sent me an email back telling me:

That one is very old, and was made by W0MLY in Iowa, before the company was sold in about 1990 to Bill Wall, KC4UZ, near Atlanta.

The old switch used a Lucas Ledex stepper motor, and sent pulses to index it.
Position indication was sent back to the control box
by a "coding wafer" which was indexed by the stepper.

Bill Wall completely redesigned it all, and used a totally different system,
with gear-reduction motor drive, no steppers.

We have no data at all on the older W0MLY switch.

   73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ
http://www.ad5vj.com/
Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

Checked by AVG.
PM