[TowerTalk] Advice on Tower

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>, SteppIR Yahoo Group <steppir@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice on Tower
From: w4lde <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:39:34 -0400
I recently have moved to a new home, SW of Atlanta and have a SteppIR
3-element with the 30/40 add on sitting in the garage waiting on a new
tower.

I have approval from the HOA and County to erect a Tower, home deed was
filed with modifications to allow a ham radio tower and antennas.

Although no specific restrictions on height or style are place on me by
the HOA or the deed modifications,  when I started the process
I thought a US Tower MARB-550 would look very neighbor friendly and be
easy to get buy in's by all.

I already have a base for the tower in-place but I am a little concerned
as to the ratings for the MARB when comparing a TX-455 style.

My Counties wind rating is 70MPH, we have already seen 50MPH gusts
during a thunderstorm recently.

The tower is rated at 9 sq/ft at 70 MPH and 61#'s weight, the specified
wind load by SteppIR is 8.1 sq/ft. at 58#'s  I would elect to use the
rotating n base thus keeping the rotor at the bottom of the tower and
reducing the extra weight and little load.

Now the questions?

1.  Since I am almost right on top of the spec's, wind load and weight,
should I abandon this Tower selection.
    a. As it now stands I have a 3'-6" x 3'- 6" x 6" concrete base with
rebar and mounting bolts per the US tower spec's

2.  Is there a way to adapt any type of  rotating guy device to this
type of tower?

3.  I would also like to hear from SteppIR - US Tower users with similar
setups.

Plans are to erect the Tower some time in mid September or early October
depending on deliver time so I need to get the order underway.

Maybe I can improve on the ratings by not keeping the Tower raised to
the maximum height unless I am chasing some DX expedition or am I dreaming?

73's de

Ron W4LDE