Re: [TowerTalk] Lock nuts revisited

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lock nuts revisited
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:43:27 +0100
Roger,

I'm no mechanical engineer - just a lowly communications engineer - but
I'm trying to understand the point you are making:

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> When that nut is tightened it
> pulls the bolt straight out against the threads in the rotator, or
> objects base which adds force that adds to the torque required to remove
> the bolt with out torquing the bolt down tighter.
Isn't this exactly what happens when you tighten the head on a
conventional bolt? You turn the head but it can't move forward (because
it's hard up against the washer or whatever) so it pulls the bolt
against the threads. I would have thought that for the same thread
pitch, the same torque on the nut or the head would result in the same
"stretch forces" on the bolt. The jam nut simply locks the first nut to
the bolt; so I still don't see that the situations are any different.

Perhaps I'm "missing the obvious"?

73,
Steve G3TXQ