Re: [TowerTalk] Filters for Field Day

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Filters for Field Day
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi John,

Filters are  N O T  needed to eliminate interference between multiple Field Day
transmitters on the same band.  Antenna design, proper choice of polarization,
physical separation between antennas, frequency management, and reasonably good
transceivers will eliminate all interference.

I was the guy responsible for designing the 18 HF antennas and the site layout
for the 23 (yes twenty three) transmitter
W3AO Field Day entry this year.  Fifteen of those transmitters were
simultaneously active on the HF bands for most of the 24 hour operating period.
 Eliminating interference among our 15 HF stations was the primary criteria for
designing our site and the antennas.

For example, on 20 meters we had four stations on the air simultaneously for
most of the 24 hours -- with no interference at all -- on  the following
approximate frequencies:
  14025 CW
  14080 RTTY or PSK
  14175 GOTA (SSB)
  14320 SSB

So...   How did we did we eliminate all interference with so many HF
transmitters and antennas?

1. We used the full 1000 foot site diameter allowed by the rules.

2. All HF antennas were horizontally polarized.  To obtain the maximum possible
isolation between stations, no verticals or inverted V dipoles were used.

3. All HF antennas on the same band were in a straight north-south line, with
the largest possible separation between every antenna on the same band.  All
Yagis were pointed west, all dipoles were broadside east-west.

For example -- on 20 meters -- our four Yagis were at least 300 feet from each
other. The spacing between the SSB and GOTA (SSB) Yagis was 700 feet, and the
spacing between the CW and RTTY Yagis was 700 feet.

These concepts can be applied to a much smaller Field Day site.  To operate CW
and SSB simultaneously on the same band, use two horizontally polarized
antennas (dipoles or Yagis) with the elements in a straight line to minimize
coupling.  The spacing should be as large as possible, ideally at least 200
feet.  Use reasonably good transceivers, they don't have to be $10,000 radios.

73
Frank
W3LPL