[TowerTalk] Ham4 and CDE rotor controller

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham4 and CDE rotor controller
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 02:22:54 -0500
I have a older Ham 4 and older CDE rotor controller.

I have the CDE controller with the terminal strips, not the ones with the
circuit board.

 Just did the troubleshooting from the new style manual and am finding:

1) the 500ohm between 3 and 7 is present (no dead spots)
2) it does add to 500 when going between each and ground and it changes smoothly
   when making the rotor turn in both directions to it's stops.

3) however the voltage is not 13VDC between 3 and 7 when the switch is used
4) it is 6.3 VDC between 3 and 7 on the back of the controller not 13VDC when
    operating the motor in either direction

Power from the instrument xfmr is 26 volts ac
Voltage accross the cap is 12 VAC
Voltage at the anode of one diode is 12 VDC
Voltage at the anode of the other is 6.3 VDC

Found no loose wires, or bad connections in rotor or controller and , it just
doesn't show it on the indicator.

The indicator only moves from the S on the W side to the N position and no
further
Probably because it is missing half its voltage between 3 and 7 (but why)
The rotor does turn 360 degrees

Does anyone have an older manual, I have downloaded the only one I could find
and it is the one for the circuit  board model. Not
sure if the components are all the same between the older ones and the newer
ones.

But on the drawings for the newer style controller's schematic I am seeing what
has the schematic symbol for a Zener.

But no values or part numbers shown.

   73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ
http://www.ad5vj.com/
Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET

Luke 14:28-30

 28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and
estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to
complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it,
everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This
fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'