Re: [TowerTalk] 3 el bobtail for 80 meters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3 el bobtail for 80 meters
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 11:58:51 -0500
N2EA wrote:

..."Assuming you could efficiently match it and deliver power to it.
Figure 3dB loss in that scheme, and you'd net out with 7 or 8 dB fwd
gain, and a beamwidth which won't span europe. "...

Could be.  I didn't include matching network loss or transmission line
loss, and for an antenna that covers 1200 ft that could be significant
(if you don't want to spend a fortune on coax).

Can you imagine trying to work with a fixed antenna that has a bandwidth
of 12 or 13 degrees?  That's worse than the guy who built the 12 element
Sterba curtain for 20 meters (18.6 degrees).  He already had it up, knew
the direction it was pointed, and wanted to know who he could work with
it.  There were only a few countries where it was better than a dipole,
a few Russians, EP, YA, AP, VU, VU7, VQ9, 8Q, S7, 3B6, 3B8, 3B9, FR, FH,
5R, and KC4.  It would be interesting to figure the same info for the 9
element Bobtail.

Jerry, K4SAV