Re: [TowerTalk] Old Coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old Coax
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
I use old coax all the time but I check it regularly for loss. I have some 140
foot runs of Belden 8214 (RG-8 foam) that are about 28 years old. At 50 Mhz,
the loss is running about 15% above spec but it is fine to use on the lower
frequencies. The usable life depends a great deal on how much sunlight exposure
the coax receives and the temperature it is exposed to. This is particularly
true of RG-8X foam which can be turned to junk in a very short time by
excessive heat.

Also, pay particular attention to small cuts in the jacket. An amazing amount
of moisture can get through these small holes and corrode the shield. Overall,
however, Belden is top quality coax cable that often lasts longer than you
expect.

73, Dennis W0JX/8
Milan, OH