Re: [TowerTalk] What is..."Pointed Tower vs Flat"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What is..."Pointed Tower vs Flat"
From: "K5RC" <tom@k5rc.cc>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:55:06 -0700
This type of base is called pier and pin. It was popularized when AM
broadcast towers frequently used Rohn 25 as radiators. I have seen it used
on 1,500' commercial towers as well. The pier is a huge ceramic insulator
when it needs to be insulated.  I just put one in concrete this week in
preparation for moving my 110' 160 Vertical. I don't think they are popular
with hams because they are most safely erected with a crane until the first
guy level is secured and tensioned.

Tom Taormina, K5RC
Virginia City NV