Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City - Common Sense

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City - Common Sense
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:12:26 -0500
I would like to say something here, and that is, sometimes it is common sense.
But *most* problems can be avoided by using common sense.

Although my call sign would indicate I am 'new' to this
 (along with my basic questions about towers :0)

But, I have been relicensed and was first licensed in 1965 and been around
electrical and electronics for quite some time as a
professional. I have slowed down projects and refused to work at all on others,
in order for the project to be safer, made engineers
mad because they were going to loose deadlines.

But I am able to write this today because I REFUSED to be the 'dead' line.

There are times when even the pros get too close, one thing everyday people and
some Hams many times dont realize is power lines do
not necessarily have to be touched to be dangerous.

In my work in the 80's, as a Senior Instrument Technician, I have seen UP CLOSE
AND PERSONAL ---  the energy from High Voltage Lines
JUMP accross air A FEW FEET to get to it's lowest potential (thankfully not
through me)

But I saw it myself and I can tell you it was close enough, to make a believer
out of me in a BIG BIG WAY AND REAAL QUICK. I dont
think I stopped shaking for at least 30 mins or more.

I agree people need to be careful at all times not only with towers but with
ANY antenna when it comes to getting close to any
electrical circuit, especially High Voltage Lines.

 I especially agree with the last statement in the ARRL message:

"Stop and look. If it is close or seems that way -- don't. Find another place.
High voltage lines are not forgiving. Your life
depends on it. Please follow the warnings. Anywhere close is too close." -- "

I am saddened by the news of these two brothers and my prayers are with their
families, especially the 7 year old who saw it happen.

May the Lord be with them all.

Bob AD5VJ