Re: [TowerTalk] Sources for mast material

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k5mef@mefox.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sources for mast material
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:59:17 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2008 6:23:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I used Champion Radio's WinMARC tool to calculate the  recommended masts
for
my planned VHF/UHF stack.  If I enter an extra  safe wind speed of 100 mph
(my county is 70 mph basic speed), the tool  suggests the following masts:

Wall  Yield Strength     Description

----  --------------     ------------------------------------------

0.120     40,000      6063-T835       Drawn aluminum tube
0.120        42,000      2024-T3            Drawn aluminum tube
0.120       46,000     A 500 Grade B     Structural steel pipe
0.120   50,000      1010         Carbon steel CDBW

Howdy --

    What was the bending moment figure you're working  with? 40,000 psi or
what?

    This is much simpler IMO. Your 100 MPH safety  factor has skewed the
whole thing. That's 2-3 times the wind pressure as your  REAL windspeed rating.
I'll never discourage anyone from over-engineering  something but you should
back up a step or two.

    Your vhf/uhf stack is pretty small. If you lower  the windspeed to 90 or
even 80 - it'll change what's required - resulting in  you saving a bunch of
money and hassle. (I don't discourage anyone from  spending money either.)

    All you really need is - dare I say it - some  galvanized pipe; e.g.
Schedule 40 water pipe,  conduit, EMT, etc. It's  rated around 35,000 psi yield
strength which should be fine for your proposed  installation. And you can
drive
down to your big box hardware store and get  what you need. Cheap. Maybe you
have some in your boneyard.

    While the galvanized pipe is 1.9" OD, your yagis  won't know the
difference. That's what I'd do.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH