[TowerTalk] FW: Sources for mast material

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Sources for mast material
From: "Michael Fox \(K5MEF\)" <k5mef@mefox.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 20:13:09 -0700
I sure wish I could get an answer to these questions about WinMARC from
Champion Radio.  Does anyone know?

1)  What is the meaning of the "wind speed" parameter.  The dialog box says
"maximum wind speed expected".  In my county, basic wind speed is 70 mph
fastest mile, 85 mph 3-second gust.  So I figured the max instantaneous is
probably higher.  So I figured 90 or 100 would be a good number.  But it
really depends on what the meaning of this number is in the MARC tool
(fastest mile, 3-second gust, other).  Can you define?

2)  Also, when the calculated total is 12,290 in-lb, the lightest suggested
mast type shown in the list is a 40,000 in-lb yield strength.  It's seems
like it's only displaying mast types that are at least 3X higher than the
calculated total.  Maybe you could shed some light on that too?

Thanks in advance.

73,

Michael - K5MEF

--

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not a single act, but a
habit. -- Aristotle