Re: [TowerTalk] Long Barrel Connectors - The post is short the connector

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Barrel Connectors - The post is short the connector
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 17:27:15 -0400
Rob Atkinson wrote:

<snip>
> 2.  You say you want a barrel but let's be
> careful about terms.  A "barrel" is same series on each end; each end
> a male.  A "bullet" is same series on each end; each end a female.
> The terms are often misused.   A long rigid straight section for a
> bulkhead with jacks on each end would be a long bullet.
>
> 73
>
> rob / k5uj
I'm always willing to learn stuff.  But in the more than half a century
that I've been a ham, this is the first time I have ever heard the term
"bullet" to describe what my friends and I have been calling a barrel.
Your comments got me to thinking.  Had I missed something along the
way?  I had a quick look at The RF Connection's listings and they use
the term "bulkhead" to describe the UHF female/female thingy.  Nemal
calls it "bulkhead jack to jack."  Amphenol refers to "jack to jack" and
Amp calls it a "jack to jack bulkhead feedthrough."  Nobody who makes
these things calls them bullets or barrels.  The only source that was
using the term "bullet" that I could find was that fount of knowledge,
eBay, where one is currently listed.  If there is a printed standard,
issued by someone that counts, that defines "bullet" connectors and
"barrel" connectors, I would definitely like to hear about it.  Until
then, my UHF female to female connector answers to "barrel" every time I
call it for supper!  If it's happy with that name, so am I.  :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr