Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Exterior Ethernet Cable

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Exterior Ethernet Cable
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:19:21 -0400
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 07:01:46 -0500, Matt Patterson wrote:
>

>> They also make shielded RJ-45 connectors if you are thinking of going
>> with the shielded outdoor gel filled CAT5E.
>>

> I wouldn't throw money at shielded cable of any CAT-number. The primary

I have one run that is 133' and parallels the cables to the tower from
the shack. It actually runs with them for about 10' as well as another 6
to 8' in the ham shack where the modem, router, and switch are located.
About 40' (between the garage and shop) of that run is directly under
one of the 40 meter sloping dipoles. It also runs within 10' of the
tower base.   In the shop the computers are setting within 2 to 3' of
the rigs, which run the legal limit.   So that CAT5e has legal limit
stations at each end, runs with the coax a ways, runs close to the tower
and runs under the one antenna with no interference that I have
detected.  Oh! And that is a gigabit network.  However I might consider
shielded cable IF I were running multiple runs of CAT5e in the same
conduit.  I am going to multiple runs, but just CAT6. If I run into
problems I'll go shielded.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)