Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-800SA Problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-800SA Problem
From: W5KI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:15:42 EDT
Terry,

It is the same EXACT symptoms I had here on my G-800SA.  I suspected a
lightning surge.  After wasting much time testing,  cleaning plugs, new cap,
test
rotor pot, taking apart rotor, it  came down to what I suspected (and others
predicted).  A control  line surge damaged the small circuit board.  It would
not give  proper readings over the entire 450 degree turn, even though the pot
was fine, a  smooth 10-450 ohms change with rotation.  When trying to
balance/align the  control unit, it appears to "run out" of adjustment pot on
the back.
  You may have another problem, of course.

Mulled over what to do: let Yaesu charge big bucks to fix  it and maybe have
it re-occur, buy the great universal controller by  Green Heron ($$$) for any
brand rotor, or trash it (not an  option).   I got by for 8-9 months by using
the controller just  to turn the rotor.  I bypassed the two wires from the
tower  with the rotor resistance reading, and fed them to a digital VOM.   By
physically "re-aligning" the rotor, I got direct readout of all headings  from
0-360, and did the math when the resistance was over 450ohms.  (i.e.,  400 ohms
meant 040 deg.  (400 - 360 = 040).  That would be fine  forever, but I got
some birthday money, so...

I didn't want to pay a Yaesu repair for a controller that  didn't have
digital control (should have bought the DXA).   I found the RC-1Y unit by MDS
that
is DIRECT REPLACEMENT for Yaesu  controllers -- but with computer control I
didn't have.  Now have  computer and manual control, digital readout, and a
paperweight for the  workbench (old controller).  No connection to MDS.
_http://www.mds-ham.com/RC-1-Y-ROTOR-CONTROL.htm_
(http://www.mds-ham.com/RC-1-Y-ROTOR-CONTROL.htm)

Weigh your options.  Hopefully you know someone who can repair  the
controller inexpensively, but I didn't have luck there.   IMHO, if  you decide
to buy a
new 3rd party controller, both the Green Heron and MDS  are worth their
RESPECTIVE COST.   Just depends on your needs now and  expected future brands
of
rotors you may buy.  With my modest station, it  was apples and oranges to me,
and for now, I chose the oranges.

In a message dated 8/27/2008 11:03:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

Message:  5