Re: [TowerTalk] dipole ends: Tree attachments

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole ends: Tree attachments
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 19:55:44 -0400
jim Jarvis wrote:
> Wrapping anything AROUND a tree will girdle the outer layer, where the
> water uptake takes place.

I've been wrapping heavy lines around trees (through 1/2" air hose) for
years and not hurt one yet. All but one of my slopers are anchored that
way.  The other end of the dipole has poly rope through a pulley that
comes down the side of the tower so those lines are *tight*, but no
problems yet.  I do move the attach point (or wrap point) every year.
These are fairly good size trees with the smallest being over roughly
16" in diameter. The largest is many feet.  You certainly don't want to
just wrap 3/16 or 1/4" rope directly around the tree though.  If the
rope goes all the way around the tree tightly once or more in the tube,
it needs to be redone both spring and fall. If the tree is young
it needs to be redone at least once a month. This also depends a bit on
the tree.  Trees with rough bark will tolerate more than those with
smooth bark.

Yes, the tree can tolerate that lag bolt far better than the rope
wrapped around it.

73

Roger (K8RI)