Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Question

To: DENNIS BRICKEY <n4dd@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Question
From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:25:27 -0400
Dennis,

I had the same problem with a similar configuration of inverted L.
I measured the antenna at the base with an MFJ259B and used the readings
as input to the matching formulas given by ON4UN, which accompany the
4th edition of Low Band DXing.
After a bit of work, and to my surprise, one configuration suggested by
the formula was a series capacitor followed by a parallel capacitor
between the coax and antenna.
The result was a near perfect match. I later refined the capacitor
settings with an AIM4170 which showed a bit of additional tweaking was
needed.
I was never able to run more than 400-500 watts into the antenna. Since
this matching network was put in place, I can run full legal limit.
You need to do this kind of analysis and try the math to see which
values are needed in which kind of network. It's much easier to run the
numbers first than do it by trial and error.

73, Les W2LK