Re: [TowerTalk] KLM KT34-A info

To: "Paul Young" <paul@g0hwc.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KLM KT34-A info
From: "Dennis Vernacchia" <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:24:37 -0700
Paul,

You will not have to change the BLUE "Donut" insulators just because of the
color they are.
Only change them if they are cracked and if they are loose ( Try to pry one
off the end
of the tubing and see it is securely attached or moves easy - moving easy is
bad as they could
wiggle off in the winds as the elements flex ! If  they are not cracked and
secure - no chage necessary
but if they are not cracked but can move easily causing the inner and outer
sections of Aluminum to move
then you should pry them off the end of that section of tubing and use a
coating  of RTV type sealant to
affix them back onto the end of the tubing. Be sure the RTV ( or Silicone
Rubber Sealant as I sometimes call the RTV,
is rated to be out in direct sunlight and also that the sealant is rated to
be used on aluminum as some RTVs
are for indoor use and non metalic material. I think General Electric
Silastic II is one of the appropriate ones
and is sold at most major hardware stores in U.S. but not sure of UK market.

I am not sure in the sequence of KLM changing the OTHER colors of the
insulators
but the other colors were

Black

White

Orange

Green

All I have been informed

I think BLUE was on e of the later colors used and I recall that with the
Green amd some of the Black ones
different settings had to be made tro the antenna

Best just get it togther and seal Donuts if necessary and get it about  5
to 7 mtrs in tha air at minimum just toi
see if it loads up OK

Then if the SWR is not off on certain bands, adjust the element settings as
described in manual for better SWR

One problem you may run into is that one of the colors and I don't recall
which, requird new sections
of the smaller diameter long pieces of tubing, to be replaced and if the
antenna has any buildup of corroision,
getting those sections replaced required cleaning the old ones beofre the
various differnt colored Donut insulatios
had to be slid off and removed ( NOT A FUN and very Time consuming Job )

I hope all this makes ssome sense to you and if not send me your telephone
number anda best time to call you ( UTC ) and
we can dicuss by phone .

73, Dennis N6KI
San Diego