Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna software

To: Scott MacKenzie <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna software
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 07:54:19 -0700
Scott MacKenzie wrote:
> Simple to use and reasonably accurate - and free is MMANA

I use 4nec2, also free, uses the NEC2 engine by default, has a graphical
editor (which I've not used.. I'm used to generating nec decks) and a
fair number of display and output options, as well as a variety of
optimizer engines.

If you license a copy of NEC4 from LLNL, 4nec2 will use it, which is
what I do.

EZNEC is also very popular. There's a free trial version with limited
size capability to get the feel of it.  It basically uses the NEC engine
underneath.

I'd stay away from any of the MiniNec based tools. They were great in
their day with limited computational resources, etc., but today, there's
no reason not to run something with the full code.

As you probably know, modeling is as much art as science.  It takes some
time to get the hang of building a model that has enough detail, but not
too much, and to understand the limitations of the model.

Jim, W6RMK