Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna software

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna software
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:23:01 +0100
Patrick,

As others have said, it mostly comes down to personal choice about the
interface. The underlying "calculating engines" are the same. I'd
suggest you get hold of MMANA and the free version of EZNEC and see what
suits you best.

I'm very impressed by the accuracy of these tools, provided you can
model the antenna and its environment reasonably completely. Take a look
at the measured and modelled performance of a 20m Hexbeam on my web site
- particularly the final two charts - and I think you'll agree that it's
plenty accurate enough for amateur use:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec2/

If nothing else you'll learn an awful lot about antennas by "playing"
with the modelling tools.

73,
Steve G3TXQ