Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 240....removing the foli?!!

To: fraz1 <fraz1@bellsouth.net>, Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 240....removing the foli?!!
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:39:05 -0400
fraz1 wrote:
> Hey Folks....
>
> Is there a reasonable and proper way to remove the foil in this stuff?  It is
> almost embedded in the dielectric and I can't seem to remove it to my
> satisfaction.

Nearly all of the dual shield (foil plus braid) have the foil *bonded*
to the dielectric.
I just trim the end so none sticks over the dielectric.  I don't see any
reason for removing the foil other than at the very tip and I run a KW
through CNT-240 on 40 meters.

If you really have to remove the foil about the only way is to scrape it
off with a razor blade or box cutter.  Then you have to be very careful
about little metal whiskers.

73

Roger (K8RI)