[TowerTalk] Silo as a tower support?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Silo as a tower support?
From: "David Palm" <thepalmhq@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:36:38 -0500
Hello all,

This is my first post to the group.  I have a silo that's 60 feet tall, with
a 10 foot aluminum cap on top of that.  I keep wondering whether it couldn't
be used to help support a tower.  I have two ideas:

1) Put the tower in the center and have it exit the cap and extend, say, 30
feet above that (guyed, of course).  At least there would be no wind-load
for the first 70 feet (although I understand that the major wind-load is
from the top.  The silo sits on a huge concrete pad.  Is there any way to
drill into that for a tower anchor, or would one have to actually break
through that to pour a new footing for a tower.

2) Put the tower alongside the silo and bracket it at 60 feet, the top of
the concrete part of the silo.

Any cautions, suggests, or modifications would be appreciated.

73,

David