Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Dayton AC Motor issue

To: Scott McClements <kc2pih@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Dayton AC Motor issue
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:46:59 -0400
Scott McClements wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
> Thanks, I've gotten many off list replies. Most said to try replacing
> the starting capacitor first.  But I few had mention to check  the
> start circuit throwout switch. I will say that I did have to clean
> wasp nests from inside the control box, esp. off the relays (why do
> they like relays?). I'll check that out.
>
> I pulled out the capacitor and there seems to be a little liquid (or
> something)  that has leaked out of it. Since the capacitors seem
> cheap, I'll probably just get one, but that is another issue. I was
> looking at Grainger, they have a bunch in stock. The number on my

Check your local hardware store. Most carry a variety of motor starting
caps. You may not find the same part number but what you are looking for
is the proper voltage, something close to the capacity, and the right
dimensions.

> Dayton motor is 6K622N.  I haven't found anything on the web telling
> me what I need, but the cap dimension is  3 3/8" X 2",  594 MFD (made

Anything within +/- 20% will probably work just fine. I'm not sure of
the tolerance for starting caps but it's pretty wide.

73

Roger (K8RI)

<snip>