[TowerTalk] deterioration of CAT5 cable insulation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] deterioration of CAT5 cable insulation
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:01:46 -0400
I just discovered, in the wiring of my SO2R switchbox, which has been out
at the base of my tower for 2 years (in a weatherproof box), that a number
of the CAT5 conductors have bare wire showing through the
insulation.  Since there was no sun or water exposure, I presume this is
some sort of deterioration of the insulation due to temperature and
humidity change - another reason to use outdoor-rated CAT5 for control
wiring that will be exposed to any outside conditions.

73, Pete N4ZR