Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection of rotors/remote switches etc

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection of rotors/remote switches etc
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:07:31 -0400
I too have replaced many many potentiometers, hash filters and a few motors
on TIC ring rotators after lightning strikes.  Is there a way to protect
them?  Do MOVs protect the motors?

John KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: Steve London
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:10:49 -0600

I'm sure that others will disagree, but in my experience, protecting
rotators
and remote switches on towers is often a losing cause. On the positive side,
have never had a CDE/HyGain T2X/Tailtwister damaged by lightning. On the
negative side, I have had plenty of Bourns multi-turn potentiometers (used
as
direction indicators for Ring Rotors and other commercial rotators) fried by
lightning. MOV's at the rotator housing have no effect with direct, or very
close hits. It doesn't take much to burn through the #36 wire used to wind
those
pots !  Similarly, it doesn't take much of a surge to punch a hole through
the
1N4001's used in remote antenna switches.

YMMV.

73,
Steve, N2IC