[TowerTalk] converting a 10 meter monobander to 20

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] converting a 10 meter monobander to 20
From: Blair S Balden <blair.balden@wmich.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:52:29 -0400
Hello towertalk ops!

I have a Cushcraft 10-4CD 4-element monobander.  Given current conditions on
10, I'm thinking about modifying it to work on 20 meters instead.  I figure
adding loading coils into each element would do the trick.  I could start
winding some and trying them, but I would like to start out with something
close to right.  Would any of you be able to provide me with some guidance as
to what coil diameter / number of turns / type of conductor would be
appropriate and/or how to calculate same?   I run 100 watts of power.

Would it be better to load it near the center of each element, the middle, or
toward the ends?  It would be great if the thing could cover the entire band
with a reasonable SWR, but even half the band would be OK.

Also, I'm sure element spacing would be an issue.  I suppose I could go from 4
elements down to 3 (or even 2), if it makes sense.  The boom is about 16 feet
long.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Blair, NP2F