Re: [TowerTalk] 'new' technique for feeding towers.

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 'new' technique for feeding towers.
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:25:06 -0400 (EDT)
Use skirt feed here with considerable success.  I have a 70' tower with a
40M beam on top, and I use skirt wires to "shunt feed" the tower on 80 and
160.  It has worked well; I use 4 wires, spaced out about 3 feet from the
tower.  I have suggested such feed to several fellows with little
interest.  By using such feed one can get a wide variety of matching
options which are often easier to make up.

There is another forgotten variation--in my old Antenna Engineering text
I believe it is Therman who shows a wire dropped down thru the center of
a tower, which is then fed at the bottom thru a network.  That idea would
be great for large cross section towers.

As mentioned, the same method can be used to de-tune a tower or
sectionalize it without using an insulator.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place
Marietta Ohio  45750